Below are a few resources and other avenues of information regarding Medical Marijuana. We encourage you to continue to research because the more you know, the better things flow!
New York State Rules & Regulations
Medical Marijuana Advocacy
NORML – NORML’s mission is to move public opinion sufficiently to legalize the responsible use of marijuana by adults, and to serve as an advocate for consumers to assure they have access to high quality marijuana that is safe, convenient and affordable. Definitely check out their FAQ page, including:
- Critics claim that marijuana is a “gateway drug.” How do you respond to this charge?
- But isn’t marijuana addictive?
- Critics of the medical use of marijuana say (1) there are traditional medications to help patients and marijuana is not needed; and, (2) permitting the medical use of marijuana sends the wrong message to kids. How do you respond to these concerns?
Drug Policy Alliance – The Drug Policy Alliance’s mission is to advance those policies and attitudes that best reduce the harms of both drug use and drug prohibition, and to promote the sovereignty of individuals over their minds and bodies. The DPA envisions a just society in which the use and regulation of drugs are grounded in science, compassion, health and human rights, in which people are no longer punished for what they put into their own bodies but only for crimes committed against others, and in which the fears, prejudices and punitive prohibitions of today are no more.
Americans For Safe Access – The mission of Americans for Safe Access (ASA) is to ensure safe and legal access to cannabis (marijuana) for therapeutic uses and research. ASA works with our grassroots base of over 50,000 members to effect change using public education and direct advocacy at the local, state, and federal level.
Marijuana Policy Projects – MPP, which was founded in January 1995, is the largest organization in the U.S. that’s focused solely on ending marijuana prohibition. MPP’s mission is to change federal law to allow states to determine their own marijuana policies without federal interference, as well as to regulate marijuana like alcohol in all 50 states, D.C., and the five territories. MPP has been responsible for changing most of the state marijuana laws that have been reformed since 2000.
Professional & Educational Associations
MedicalCannabis.com – The organization known as Patients Out of Time is a non-profit 501c3 corporation of the Commonwealth of Virginia that shall educate all disciplines of health care professionals; their specialty and professional organizations; and the public at large about medical cannabis (marijuana).
- Prior to the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937, marijuana was widely used by medical doctors in the United States for a variety of physical and emotional ailments. The U.S. government began a litany of “reefer madness” propaganda and police actions that are with us today. Coupled with the bureaucratic demands of the tax act, the practice of physicians prescribing cannabis for therapeutic purposes in such an environment became subject to great scrutiny and therefore unwise. Cannabis’ therapeutic value was no longer taught in medical schools; it vanished from the pharmacopoeia of the U.S.; it became outlawed. Read More…
Society of Cannabis Clinicians – The Society of Cannabis Clinicians (SCC) was formed as a project of the California Cannabis Research Medical Group (CCRMG) in the Autumn of 2004. The Society of Cannabis Clinicians is an educational and scientific society of qualified physicians and other professionals dedicated to the promotion, protection and support of cannabis for medical use. Its mission is to unite into one association members of the various medical specialties and allied professionals with this common purpose.
- Patient Resources
- Case Reports – searchable by condition
- Cannabis Education for Caregivers, Nurses, Hospice
United Patients Group – United Patients Group (UPG) is an unparalleled resource and trusted leader in Medical Cannabis for physicians, patients and organizations. UPG acts as a virtual hand for patients, by helping them navigate through this ever-changing industry. Additionally, they offer online CME education courses and one-on-one consulting to physicians and medical institutions.
- How Medical Marijuana Works
- Traveling with Medical Marijuana
- Marijuana that is prescribed for medical conditions has the same federal restrictions as marijuana purchased for recreational use (recreational marijuana).
- Videos on Medical Cannabis and Marijuana
Healer.com – Free Education Courses including how to find your optimal cannabis dosage; how to use cannabis therapeutically, without the high (if desired); how to become more sensitive to cannabis; how to control unwanted side effects.
Do you know of a resource that can be added to our list? Please let us know!