Be sure to check out our MMJ In The News section for important info concerning your legal rights and access to Medical Marijuana in New York State.
And Check out our Office Special – Refer a Friends and Get A $25 credit for a Follow-up Visit!
Doc Tommy Joins Panel of MMJ Experts for Etain Patient Education Event
Etain, NY States ONLY Women-Owned dispensary, and Women Grow NYC are sponsoring a FREE patient education event to educate the consumer about the Science of Cannabis as Medicine. Doc Tommy is one of the industry expert medical professionals who will discuss the science of cannabis as a medicine.
Safe Memorial Day Fun
Hurray! We’re about to launch the Summer Season! Here are some tips to safely enjoy your Memorial Day Weekend adventures.
Prepare to spend more time outdoors.
- Check out our article on Hand Sanitizer and Antibacterial Soap Considerations.
- Protect yourself in the sun with sunscreen. First, to avoid sunburn and skin damage, picnic under a tree, take a canopy to the beach and chill beneath an umbrella. SPF-rated moisturizers, sunscreens, and lip balms are not created equal, so peruse The Environmental Working Group’s Guide to Sunscreens.
Hydrate. It’s important to stay hydrated throughout the day with water-rich fruits and vegetables like watermelon, cucumbers and bell peppers as well as ice pops — here’s Martha Stewart’s easy, any juice ice pop recipe! Note: One of our patients makes this recipe with NO sugar or substitutes the sugar with honey water.
Make Healthy Food Choices. To make it easier, The Environmental Working Group has many wonderful resources for you to seek and find information concerning food safety and more!
- The EWG’s Food Score Guides help consumers make healthier, greener food choices. More than 80,000 products are rated on a scale of 1 (best) to 10 (worst) and scored on three criteria: nutrition; ingredient concerns (including factors such as the likely presence of key contaminants, pesticides, hormones and antibiotics, and the health implications of certain food additives); and processing (the extent to which a particular food has been processed). You can look up a product; search by company; search by category; and find better alternatives. Take advantage of this amazing, free resource!
- Grill Veggies! As we mentioned, it is important to hydrate and eating cruciferous (high, water content) foods makes a great contribution to your water intake. And vegetables are good for you! So, cook a veggie kabob as part of the meal and check out some delicious, vegetable grill recipes from Food and Wine.
Get Moving. Just because you may be enjoying a cookout doesn’t mean you have to spend the day eating! Be sure to get a little fun exercise in – throw the ball, play badminton, dance, etc.!
- #1: Food Safety — Refrigerate all perishable food within 2 hours, 1 hour if the temperature outside is above 90 degrees; guard against cross-contamination of bacteria, keep uncooked meats away from other foods; avoid food poisoning by cooking fresh poultry to 165 degrees, hamburgers to 160 degrees and beef to at least 145 degrees.
- #2: Grill Safety — Thoroughly clean a grill of any grease or dust; prevent an uncontrolled fire by checking the tubes leading into the burner for any blockages from insects or food grease; prevent gas leaks by replacing any connectors; and keep lighted cigarettes, matches or open flames away from a any grill.
- #3: Water Safety — To prevent drowning, avoid alcohol when swimming or boating; wear a life-jacket whenever you are on a boat; make sure are supervise young children at all times; don’t swim alone or in bad weather; learn and teach your children to swim; learn CPR in case of an emergency.
- #4: Sun Safety — Wear sunscreen with at least an SPF of 15 or higher and apply it generously throughout the day; wear a hat outdoors and a good pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes; drink plenty of water, especially when in the sun or if you are sweating heavily; if you feel faint or nauseous, get into a cool place immediately. (See sun safety tip above.)
- #5: Travel Safety – Take along a traveler’s first aid kit to help you be prepared for common emergencies. Avoid talking or texting on a cell phone while driving.
Read the full tips and article here and see Emergency Physicians Offer Summer Travel Safety Tips.
Our Resources Page
Have you seen our Resource Page? We regularly add links to information, tips, products, and more to support the MMJ community. Check out our new additions!
Medical Marijuana in The News
Being an informed patient puts you in charge of your health and healing.
We encourage you to stay up-to-date with the rapidly changing policies concerning Medical Marijuana (from farming to distribution), especially with the new administration and its choices for its officers.
New York: Senator Chuck Schumer Introduces Bill on 4/20 to Federally Decriminalize Cannabis. New York Senator Chuck Schumer, once a leading advocate of federal drug prohibition, has introduced a new bill that would decriminalize cannabis on a federal level, allowing states the freedom to enact their own cannabis laws. Schumer’s bill would remove cannabis from the list of dangerous drugs scheduled under the Controlled Substances Act of 1970; make funding available to minority- and women-owned canna-businesses; require additional research on the public health impact of nationwide legal cannabis use (including impaired driving); and reserve the federal government’s authority to regulate all commercial cannabis licensing, so that the same restrictions imposed on alcohol and tobacco licenses could be extended to commercial cannabis products. Read more…
- Trivia Tidbit: Origins of the term “420” — The association between the number “420” and marijuana began when five high school kids in California met at 4:20 p.m. to look for a mythical, abandoned crop of marijuana plants (using a hand-drawn, treasure map!) in 1971. Source: Snopes.com
Record Number of Running as “Pro-Cannabis Candidates.” Since several former champions of the War on Drugs, including former Speaker of the House John Boehner (Boehner has been appointed to the board of advisers of Acreage Holdings, a New York City-based canna-business running cultivation, dispensary, and processing operations in 11 states) as well as current Senator Dianne Feinstein, have “done a complete 180” and announced that they now support cannabis reform, it seems that running as the “cannabis candidate” is the popular trend. From the top five 2020, Presidential candidates to how candidates intend to use the “Marijuana Tax,” ideas of total prohibition are being traded for legalizing marijuana and reforming various laws in support of safety, regulation, and accountability. We can always hope that such turn-arounds are also influenced by increasing evidence that cannabis is more effective for treating pain than addictive opioids (see below). See The 2018 Midterms and Marijuana: How Pot Change Will Change the Vote.
Majority of Pain Sufferers Prefer Cannabis to Opioids. In a new study conducted in cooperation with the University of California Berkeley on pain medications, MMJ community website HelloMD surveyed nearly 3,000 MMJ users regarding cannabis as an effective substitute for opioid and non-opioid medications. Dr. Perry Solomon, Chief Medical Officer for HelloMD stated, “The latest publication from the National Academy of Sciences clearly refuted the ‘gateway drug’ theory that using marijuana can lead to opioid addiction, instead finding evidence of cannabis having multiple curative benefits… Our study further substantiates this. Hopefully this will awaken the public, medical professionals and legislatures to the fact that cannabis is a safe, non-addictive product, available to help fight the opioid epidemic.” Amanda Reiman, a lead researchers of the study, said, “Cannabis has been used throughout the world for thousands of years to treat pain and other physical and mental health conditions.” Read more…
RESOURCE: Check out the pending bills concerning NYS Medical Marijuana at the Marijuana Policy Project of New York.
RESOURCE: NY Congressional Scorecard is where you can check on your legislators’ stances, bills sponsored, and votes on the subject of legalizing marijuana, et al.
It is important to stay up to date with Medical Marijuana news and contact your legislators (and get on their mailing lists) to:
- keep MMJ legal in New York State and
- improve, reform, and preserve our access to MMJ under the NYS Medical Marijuana Laws
In case you didn’t get a chance to have some fun with our QUIZ in the last issue of our newsletter, here’s your chance to
Test Your MMJ News Knowledge!
See how well you know the facts we’ve provided in our previous newsletter!
Recap of Doc Tommy Happenings
The latest article that Doc Tommy is quoted in is in The Daily Mail. This article leans towards disparaging the beneficial effects of Medical Marijuana, stating, “There is no conclusive evidence that marijuana helps with chronic pain and post-traumatic stress disorder, experts say.” Hmmm, just who are these experts? It’s worth reading if for nothing else but to see what Doc Tommy says.
Listen to Doc Tommy’s Interview with Empire Now Radio
(10 minutes 28 seconds)
Doc Tommy’s Video Showcase!
Here’s yet another reason to know that Doc Tommy is the right doctor! Weedmaps.com (“the most reliable online resource to find cannabis storefronts, doctors and deals”) approached Doc Tommy to be the subject of this amazing video!
Only a doctor whose professionalism, expertise, and great patient relationships will yield such really, good karma! (Click video for full screen or CLICK HERE for larger video view.) NOTE: You may wish to LOWER the video’s volume before playing.
Latest Video Testimonial
Check out our newest, video testimonial! (Click video for full screen.) NOTE: You may wish to LOWER the video’s volume before playing.If you would like to offer a testimonial, please share here.
Here’s your chance to be a proud supporter of Doc Tommy and his caring approach to your well-being and success with Medical Marijuana! Upload your video testimonial to our private and secure account and help other people get over the fright and plight of the stigma of MMJ! The more people who have success with MMJ, the more people who can benefit from MMJ!
Office Policy Updates
Please review the updates to our Office Policies which provide better opportunities for your personalized care!
Current Office Special
Refer 1 Friend and Receive a $75 Follow-Up Visit
Now you can receive a $25 credit for each person you refer or a FREE Follow-Up visit when you refer new people who become active patients!
Share your success with people who may benefit from Medical Marijuana treatment with Doc Tommy’s expertise and comforting care and receive “karma credits!” See Office Policies for more info.
Here are a few tips on how to discuss Medical Marijuana.
Join our mailing list to be kept up to date.
DocTommy News is prepared by GoddessProjects for Dr. Thomas G. O’Brien, II. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: Please note that Doc Tommy News is presented as a resource for health tips, current events, and other interests to give patients an opportunity to expand awareness of developments concerning Medical Marijuana in the United States and abroad. The views and opinions expressed in Doc Tommy News are those of the individual authors/parties and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of The Office of Dr. Thomas G. O’Brien, II.